What is a theatrical license?

Theatrical License

A theatrical license is an agreement between a music user and the owner of a copyrighted composition (song) that grants permission to use the music in a play, musical, dance, opera, narration, or other dramatic performance. This permission is also called theatrical rights and grand rights.

    Do I need a theatrical license?

    Whenever you use a song that someone else wrote in a play, musical, dance, opera, narration, or any other type of dramatic performance with visual elements such as costumes; props; or set pieces; you will need a theatrical license directly from the copyright holder.

      Get a theatrical license

      Get permission to use copyrighted music in a dramatic performance. Get personal help from a dedicated custom licensing expert.

      A theatrical license is required no matter how small a portion you use. There are some exceptions where a theatrical license is not required: You don’t need a theatrical license for songs or shows that you wrote yourself or songs that are in the public domain.

      If you use an original recording belonging to someone else (for example an actual Beatles recording featuring John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison) you will need a theatrical license to pay the composer for the right to use the composition (song), and also a master license to pay the artists for the right to use the recording. This is true even if you are using only a very small portion of any existing copyrighted audio recording. Click here to learn more about licensing existing audio recordings.

      If you display lyrics or music notes in your production you will also need a print license to pay the composer for the right to display the composition (song). Click here to learn more about print licensing.

      If you make a video recording of your production (YouTube, DVD, Blue-ray), you will also need a synchronization license to pay the composer for the right to use the composition (song) in a video. Click here to learn more about licensing for video.

      If you make an audio-only recording of your production (CDs, digital downloads, interactive audio streams), you will also need a mechanical license to pay the composer for the right to use the composition (song) in an audio recording. Click here to learn more about licensing for audio-only products.

      How do I get a theatrical license?

      Theatrical licenses are custom-negotiated directly with the copyright holder upfront and can be quite complex. For help with this process, check out our Custom Licensing services or contact us. Alternatively, you can attempt to locate the copyright owners yourself and request permission.

      For out-of-the-box stage productions, such as high school musicals, view this list of agencies that can help you get permission. For several popular Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, visit RNH.com.

      Challenges of obtaining theatrical licenses

      Note that theatrical licensing can be challenging because, by law, theatrical rights holders maintain total control of their works when it comes to dramatic productions. This means they can set any fee, take all the time they need, and reject the license outright. Many factors affect the response, including budget, use, and even the current workload of the copyright holder’s processing department. For this reason, it is important to temper expectations when requesting a theatrical license.

      Who gets paid?

      A theatrical license pays a royalty to the copyright holder (owner) of the composition (song). This is typically the composer or their publisher. However, sometimes rights are sold. If theatrical rights are sold, a song might have a new owner, other than the original composer or publisher. For this reason, it is important to locate the current copyright holders before making a theatrical license request. When you hire us for Custom Licensing, we research and discover the current copyright holders for you.

      When should I have my theatrical licensing in place?

      Theatrical licenses must be secured before any public display of the production. However, because theatrical rights can be hard to get, we suggest making your request many months before your anticipated production date. It is also smart to have at least one backup plan in place, in case you are unable to get the theatrical rights you want. We offer strategic planning as part of our Custom Licensing services. Discover efficient solutions and avoid costly detours by leveraging our experience and expertise.

      What happens if I don’t get a license?

      We are not in the business of enforcement. However there are publishers, labels, and third parties out there who do actively seek out copyright violators. The result can be permanent damage to your reputation, stopping of the production, and in some cases legal action. Will you get caught? Maybe. Maybe not. But there are many more reasons to do things right than just the fear of getting caught. Check out all our reasons to get a license.

      * Use coupon code before checkout.

      Related music licenses

      Mechanical License

      Read More

      Print License

      Read More

      Synchronization License

      Read More

      Public Performance License

      Read More

      Master License

      Read More

      Theatrical License

      Read More

      About CopyrightNotary.com

      Copyright Notary helps indie artists, corporations, churches, schools, community groups, and individuals get permission to use copyrighted music for all types of uses. Its Cover Song Licensing service makes it easy to get 100% of the permission required to release a new version of any song in 1-2 business days. Through its Custom Licensing services, Copyright Notary offers music rights clearances for any use, with dedicated, personal assistance from an experienced specialist. Committed to accuracy and transparency, Copyright Notary adds value to the music industry through innovation, education, and efficient rights administration.

      We're here for you. Say hi.

      “Let’s do something amazing !”

      Cover Song Licensing
      Custom Licensing
      Get Backing Tracks
      Seal of Authenticity
      Referral Program
      Partner Program
      Web API for PartnersNEW
      Go Digital for Publishers
      From Our Partners

      Cover Song Price Calculator
      Free Copyright Search
      Volume Discounts
      Half Price Reorders
      Money Back Guarantee
      Coupons and Promotions

      What Type of License Do I Need?
      Do I Need a License?
      Why Get a License?
      Types of Music Licenses
      Copyright Law
      How to Copyright
      Public Domain
      Fair Use


      Help Center
      Contact Us

      Privacy           Terms           Refund

      Social Network