Music Licensing for Public Performance

When to get permission

If you perform music in public, or play recorded music in public, such as at a club; restaurant; concert; on the radio; or streaming on the web; you might need to obtain a public performance license. Small indie artists and DJs performing at private events often do not need to secure a public performance rights because they are covered by the venue. However, this is something performers should confirm with the venue, and with the public performance rights agencies listed below. K12 educators typically do not need to obtain rights for school performances, however this can depend on the type of performance and is something educators should confirm with the public performance rights agencies. Church leaders should contact the agencies below, and CCLI, an organization that caters especially to churches for various licensing needs, including public performance. Licenses should be secured before the music is used.

How to get permission

To obtain public performance licenses in the United States, please contact the following performing rights agencies:

ASCAP      1-800-952-7227
BMI           212-220-3000
SESAC       615-320-0055

Outside of the United States, please contact your local performing rights society. To obtain licensing for any type of web radio that will be broadcasted in the United States, even if the originating server is outside of the United States please contact the following agency:

SoundExchange      202-640-5858

    How the royalties are paid

    In the United States, business owners, streaming services, and others seeking public performance rights, should contact the agencies listed above to request public performance licenses. Expect to report your playlists these agencies, and share a small percentage of your revenues for royalties, which the agencies then distribute to the copyright holders. Outside of the United States, please contact your local rights agency for details.

    * Use coupon code before checkout.

    Relevant music license you need

    Mechanical License

    Read More

    Print License

    Read More

    Synchronization License

    Read More

    Public Performance License

    Read More

    Master License

    Read More

    Theatrical License

    Read More

    About CopyrightNotary.com

    Copyright Notary helps indie artists, corporations, churches, schools, community groups, and individuals get permission to use copyrighted music for all types of uses. Its Cover Song Licensing service makes it easy to get 100% of the permission required to release a new version of any song in 1-2 business days. Through its Custom Licensing services, Copyright Notary offers music rights clearances for any use, with dedicated, personal assistance from an experienced specialist. Committed to accuracy and transparency, Copyright Notary adds value to the music industry through innovation, education, and efficient rights administration.

    We're here for you. Say hi.

    “Let’s do something amazing !”

    Cover Song Licensing
    Custom Licensing
    Get Backing Tracks
    Seal of Authenticity
    Referral Program
    Partner Program
    Web API for PartnersNEW
    Go Digital for Publishers
    From Our Partners

    Cover Song Price Calculator
    Free Copyright Search
    Volume Discounts
    Half Price Reorders
    Money Back Guarantee
    Coupons and Promotions

    What Type of License Do I Need?
    Do I Need a License?
    Why Get a License?
    Types of Music Licenses
    Copyright Law
    How to Copyright
    Public Domain
    Fair Use


    Help Center
    Contact Us

    Privacy           Terms           Refund

    Social Network