Custom Licensing

Get permission to use copyrighted music for any purpose. YouTube, film, print, web, tv, advertising, corporate, derivatives, grand rights and more.

Choose a service 
You submit the request with our help ($99), or let us handle everything for you ($149).

Pay our fee
If we handle the request, add 30% of the negotiated license fee, due when you sign the license.

Get answers
Connect with our experts. Position your request for the best chance at resolution.

Get valuable advice and contacts

  • Receive accurate information from experienced professionals.
  • Discover efficient solutions and avoid costly detours.
  • Access our “little black book” of protected industry contacts.

Improve your chances of success

  • Organize your request for a good first impression.
  • Speak the language of the copyright holders.
  • Make sure your request is taken seriously.

In most cases you don't need a custom license for cover songs. Learn about the exceptions below.

What is custom licensing?

When your project demands more than basic cover song licensing, Easy Song Licensing’s Custom Licensing services are the answer. One payment of $99 for Custom Assistance gets you everything you need to submit your requests to the copyright holders and clear the rights you need. Choose Custom Handling for $149 and we process the request for you.

Is custom licensing required for cover songs?

Usually not. Most cover songs can be easily obtained in 1-2 business days for a small fee of $12.74* or less (Check out our cover song licensing services). However, if you change the lyrics, the fundamental melody (general rearrangement is allowed however), or otherwise don’t fit within the compulsory law limitations, custom licensing is necessary.

Do I need a custom license?

If you use music that other people created, no matter how you use it, you need to get a license. This is true even if you are giving away your project for free, or if it’s for a non-profit. No matter the use, we can help you get the permission you need. There are two scenarios we handle:

1  –  For cover songs, usually you do not need a custom license. However, some exceptions apply:

  • If you changed the lyrics or melody (more than general rearrangement) you need a custom license.
  • If you want to use a song that has never been released, you need a custom license.
  • If you want to license retroactively (a previous release of yours), you need a custom license.
  • If you intend to release for any purpose other than private listening (performance, karaoke), you need a custom license.
  • If you wish to license an international song, not copyrighted in the United States, you need a custom license.
  • Learn about the compulsory law where these limitations come from.

If your cover song fits within the Compulsory Law (in other words, none of the above apply), you do not need a custom license: Click here to start your cover song licensing. If any of the above apply, or if you require some other use, you need a custom license. See 2 below.


2  –  If you need permission for any of the following, you need a custom license:

  • non-compulsory cover songs,
  • video (including YouTube),
  • existing audio recordings,
  • music notes or lyrics,
  • theatrical productions,
  • parodies, and songs that have never been released.

* Use coupon code before checkout.

We're here for you. Say hi.

“Let’s do something amazing !”

Cover Song Licensing
Custom Licensing
Get Backing Tracks
Seal of Authenticity
Referral Program
Partner Program
Web API for PartnersNEW
Go Digital for Publishers
From Our Partners

Cover Song Price Calculator
Free Copyright Search
Volume Discounts
Half Price Reorders
Money Back Guarantee
Coupons and Promotions

What Type of License Do I Need?
Do I Need a License?
Why Get a License?
Types of Music Licenses
Copyright Law
How to Copyright
Public Domain
Fair Use


Help Center
Contact Us

Privacy           Terms           Refund

Social Network